Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Loose Tooth Obsession

The Loose Tooth Obsession

There wasn't a loose tooth in his mouth for months, after he lost two in close succession. Finally, a third decided to jiggle. Friday after school, the stories of how the other kids 'remove' their teeth began. "Mom, so-and-so's dad used a string and doorknob, so-and-so's sister punched his mouth"...and on and on the stories went.  I tried to play it cool, "D, just let it go, your tooth will fall out when it's good and ready. Besides, punching, pulling, tugging, and strings, can't really be good for your gums anyway."

Rolling his eyes he just sighed.

"Ok. We can call the dentist on Monday if you'd like." I replied.

"Nah," he whispered then asked "Can I have Coke with dinner?"

*****************************

Sunday was a typical family do-nothing day. We were enjoying our time together with an afternoon fire in the chiminea and the sunshine on the deck. Nothing really exciting going on. I stop reading and looked up. After taking a sip of wine, I asked my husband "Have you seen D? It's like he just disappeared?"

"I think he went upstairs, probably playing with his Legos." he replied casually.

He was probably right, but something seemed strange. So I walked inside and stood at the bottom of the stairs. "D? You up there? You okay?" I called.

"Yeeessss, Mom. I'm okay" He replied walking towards the top of the staircase with tweezers in hand.

"Ok, good, I thought you disappeared." I paused "What are the tweezers for?"

"Oh, I really wanna get this tooth out, wanna help?"






No comments:

Post a Comment